What is Fenofibrate?
Fenofibrate is used for High cholesterol level, Hypertriglyceridemia, Hypertriglyceridaemia, Elevated cholesterol levels and other conditions. This salt may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
Fenofibrate is used for the treatment, control, prevention, & improvement of the following diseases, conditions and symptoms:
· High cholesterol level
· Elevated cholesterol levels
Fenofibrate - Side-effects
The following is a list of possible side-effects that may occur in medicines that contain Fenofibrate. This is not a comprehensive list. These side-effects are possible, but do not always occur. Some of the side-effects may be rare but serious. Consult your doctor if you observe any of the following side-effects, especially if they do not go away.
· Muscle weakness
· Abdominal pain
· Back pain
· Flu syndrome
· Respiratory disorder
· Fenofibrate may also cause side-effects not listed here.
Fenofibrate Working, Mechanism of Action and Pharmacology
Fenofibrate improves the patient's condition by performing the following functions:
· Increasing the action of enzyme lipoprotein lipase to decrease the level of fats in the blood.
Fenofibrate - Precautions & How to Use
Before using Fenofibrate, inform your doctor about your current list of medications, over the counter products (e.g. vitamins, herbal supplements, etc.), allergies, pre-existing diseases, and current health conditions (e.g. pregnancy, upcoming surgery, etc.). Some health conditions may make you more susceptible to the side-effects of the drug. Take as directed by your doctor or follow the direction printed on the product insert. Dosage is based on your condition. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. Important counseling points are listed below.
· Consult a doctor if you have renal or hepatic impairment, diabetes, hyperthyroidism, kidney or liver ailments, muscular disorders or poorly controlled diabetes mellitus
· Decreased albumin in the blood
· If using, take cholestyramine or colestipol 4 horus before or 1 hour after using medication
· Large amount of protein in urine
· Monitor liver function tests and blood counts regularly
· Notify doctor if using warfarin as this medication can affect the blood as well
· Taking medicines such as cholestyramine or colestipol
· Water retention in the body