What is Artesunate / Mefloquine?
Artesunate / Mefloquine is used for Severe quinine resistant malaria, Chloroquine resistant malaria, Severe malaria, Malaria of the cerebrum of the brain and other conditions.
Artesunate / Mefloquine Uses
Artesunate / Mefloquine is used for the treatment, control, prevention, & improvement of the following diseases, conditions and symptoms:
· Severe quinine resistant malaria
· Chloroquine resistant malaria
· Severe malaria
· Malaria of the cerebrum of the brain
Artesunate / Mefloquine - Side-effects
The following is a list of possible side-effects that may occur in medicines that contain Artesunate / Mefloquine. This is not a comprehensive list. These side-effects are possible, but do not always occur. Some of the side-effects may be rare but serious. Consult your doctor if you observe any of the following side-effects, especially if they do not go away.
· Elevated levels of liver enzymes
· Visual disturbances
· Irregular heart beats
Artesunate / Mefloquine Working, Mechanism of Action and Pharmacology
Artesunate / Mefloquine improves the patient's condition by performing the following functions:
· Killing the malarial parasite.
· Destroying the parasites at a crucial stage of development.
Artesunate / Mefloquine - Precautions & How to Use
Before using Artesunate / Mefloquine, inform your doctor about your current list of medications, over the counter products (e.g. vitamins, herbal supplements, etc.), allergies, pre-existing diseases, and current health conditions (e.g. pregnancy, upcoming surgery, etc.). Some health conditions may make you more susceptible to the side-effects of the drug. Take as directed by your doctor or follow the direction printed on the product insert. Dosage is based on your condition. Tell your doctor if your condition persists or worsens. Important counseling points are listed below.
· Consult your doctor immediately if your symptoms do not improve, you are unable to eat, or you develop fainting, flu-like symptoms, or change in heartbeat
· Do not drive or operate heavy machinery
· Experience pain, burning, tingling, numbness in hands or feet, muscle weakness or problems in eyes
· Finish the entire course of treatment as prescribed
· Have any heart disease or liver disorders
· Inform your doctor if you have existing medical problems including heart problems or HIV
· Inform your doctor of all your other medications
· Pregnant or planning to become pregnant
· Take with food